Saturday, April 7, 2012

On: Plot Holes


I may have mentioned this, but the Legend of Zelda franchise is my greatest passion. When Skyward Sword was released, I lunged at the opportunity to play. Now if you haven’t played, or even finished the game, and want to find out for yourself, I highly suggest you turn around now. Come back when you’ve finished. This is spoiler city. When I was going through the beginning, the very landscape intrigued me. I refused to look at the timeline they had released. I didn’t want to know until I finished the game. A good friend of mine came over and mentioned offhand that what I was doing was creating the Master Sword. My heart stopped. I didn’t understand, but I had an idea. When the time came that the game was good and done, I breathed a sigh of relief. I understood. The whole of the franchise made sense. However. I couldn’t make much sense of some things.
If Demon King Demise rose once more in the past, before Twilight Princess, before Ocarina of Time, before Windwaker, why does he have the scars on his forehead and chest? The one on the chest was inflicted in Ocarina of Time, on one of his reincarnations. It shows in Twilight Princess, just as the Demon King’s own. In Twilight Princess, he was impaled through the forehead, thus causing one of the crossed scars. Then again in Wind Waker, causing the other. Now, how would those be, if this was all in the past? Is it just for show? Or are they merely supposed to be there, and then Links of the future destined to wound the King’s reincarnations in his original weaker points? I don’t know. But the implications of either great thoughtfulness or great thoughtlessness make me wonder. Which is it?
Time travel has always made me cringe. In theory, what you do in the past should change the future, as some may say. However if Link had made one mistake, one slight difference in the timeline while he was in the past, then the future would be vastly different. However that would mean he would never go into the past and change it, and then the future would be untouched, but then he WOULD go, and so on and so forth. But if you think along the lines that you can’t change the past, as what you do is destined, then wouldn’t Impa know what was to happen? Don’t you think she’d be a bit more, all knowing? Have undeniable faith that Demise would be defeated? Also, if Demise was defeated, then The Imprisoned wouldn’t even be there. He’d be no issue whatsoever. If Demise was defeated, then Link wouldn’t need to seal him back up. Just. Time travel! It creates more questions than answers those already waiting.
Will there be more installments? How many? If we haven’t reached the end, we’re probably on the brink. I don’t see them carrying on the new continent timeline very far. But also, how many more descendants can the hero have in the only remaining branch? I couldn’t tell you. I do still want a game, or perhaps just a small spinoff based around the lives of the Sheikah. Even if it’s just a small, “Day in the life of,” or about the training of a Sheikah. Kind of like Kingdom Hearts had its little game about Roxas, numberXIII. I would buy that. Out of curiosity, and out of simply wanting more. Maybe a game centering around the events BEFORE Skyward Sword. The Goddess’ war with Demise. I just hope that this isn’t the end of the franchise. I hope someday I can teach my children about the Legend of Zelda, and know that the legend has yet to end, that it is still being written even in their lifetimes. And dress them as the characters for Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. Oops. That friend in the first paragraph was me wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete