Friday, April 13, 2012

On: What to Buy...


   With a trip to GameStop imminent, I’m thinking long and hard about what game, if any, to buy. Chances are I’ll rifle through the clearance bin, or station myself in front of the case of old DS and Gameboy Advance games. I have had limited funds over the years, and so my systems are limited at best. DS and all the applicable predecessors, Wii, GameCube, and Xbox. I have limited funds still, but much less limited than they have ever been. So at the top of my mind I have certain titles that I have a distinct desire to purchase.
   Very first is a game I played about a year or so ago. The World Ends with You is a charming little thing, a very dark yet humorous story, a good portion of it based off art. Being an artist as well as a gamer, I found the general experience pleasant at first. As I went on, and the designs and beauty of it became integral to the story, I became immersed in this world of pins and Noise. At every twist your character faced, I sucked in a breath. You never know a single thing more than he himself knows. And in the end, when all is said and done, I found myself emotionally invested in these people, hoping beyond hope that just around the corner was Another Day, brighter than what they faced. By far one of my favorite games of all time, it is also being crossed into the Kingdom Hearts game, Dream Drop Distance. I await that game with a nervous flutter in my stomach.
   I have in mind another game, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I enjoyed that game by far more than any of the newer handheld installments of the series. Let’s just say I love me some sidequests. And this game has one, huge, sidequest. The kinstone pieces are one of the biggest undertakings of the series, besides the figurines of Wind Waker of course. Finding the owners of the other halves of the pieces, and finding the proper pieces of all the commonly found kinstones, and then finding whatever you unlocked through that match? My god. That takes me forever. It keeps me busy like no other adventure game could.
   As I mentioned before, I love Harvest Moon. It’s a certain passion of mine, living out this fantasy life. However, there’s a certain game I wanted to play ever since I heard the concept. If Harvest Moon and a monster fighting adventure game had a child, it would be called Rune Factory. I have never seen this in stores, though I have kept my eyes wide open looking. Now I’m not sure which number in the series I would get, if given the option. Quite possibly the second, as it’s a polished, fresh and new version of the first. I like playing the original, the first in a series, but if they’re all the same, I feel the second would be okay too. However as I’ll likely not be given an option, I’ll take whatever I can get.
   Actually, I would honestly look to buying any Harvest Moon title that I don’t already have some experience in.
   I might consider picking up one of the multiple Crystal Chronicles titles. I’ve played the original and one other, Crystal Bearers, to death. If I can get them for cheap, I’ll certainly try out any others. I know there are a few somewhere, and the reviews were terrible, but I have a thing for the original, and I’m curious about them.
   For new titles, I haven’t been keeping all too up to date with anything other than Zelda. I’m looking forward to the new Kingdom Hearts game, of course. Speaking of KH, if I can get an older PlayStation for a good price, I’ll look into getting them again.
   I have a thing for older games. New is nice. But what I played as a kid is what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment